Sunday, May 15, 2011

Workout and Nutrition

This is where I will keep track of my workout and nutrition thoughts. I lost over 100 pounds about 14 years ago on Clean Eating. I also started heavy lifting, which I love and have continued to do, though off and on, since. I kept the weight off fairly well, but after an injury in the Army left me in a wheelchair for a while I gained about 40 pounds back.

Once I was able to exercise again, I was able to get into good shape, weighed 135 and was a size 6 for about 5 or 6 years, then was in a bad car accident. I gained back about 30 pounds. I was able to take that back off for a couple of years, but then I went back to Graduate School. One year and one quarter and 94 hours of coursework later, I had put about 25-30 pounds back on. Shaking my fist at the sky once again, I have completely evolved my eating habits and lost the weight - hopefully for good. I think I've had my share of accidents and injuries, so I don't need any more of those!

By the time I finished Grad School I was fairly addicted to Coca-Cola and was having two ice cream sandwiches at night. I could not stick to my Clean Eating Plan, so I started researching different ways of eating. Eventually I found Atkins. I had always thought it was a "meat and cheese" diet, and since I had been Vegan and vegetarian off and on again
for almost 6 years, as well as a 90% Raw Foodist for over 8 months, I had my doubts about being able to do it.

However, what I found out about Atkins shocked me. It is actually based on vegetables! Yes, you heard me right - vegetables are the foundation of the plan. It is a high-fat, low-carb, moderate protein plan that stresses the intake of a variety of "Foundation Vegetables." There are about 60 of these to choose from. Some people believe that Atkins is "high protein," but that isn't true. I actually consumed more protein when I did Clean Eating.

I started Atkins on March 2nd, 2011 at 153.8 pounds and 34.7% body fat. Today I weigh 138.0 pounds, and am at 24% body fat. I have lost over 20 pounds of fat and gained 5 pounds of lean muscle mass! I have lost over 19 inches, 7 of which have come off my waist. My size 2 jeans are now falling off.

For exercise I like to do a modified version of P90X. I recently added Zumba for my cardio, though I try not to over-do cardio as it will make you lose lean muscle mass. I also run a walking group with a goal of 50 Miles a Month to encourage others to increase their steps and go for their goals. In this group, I encourage HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training) as well. Some of the members count steps per day, some count their daily walks towards the 50 mile goal, and some run. Several people have goals of 75 miles per month or more.

This blog is a reminder for me to continue on my journey. I want to remember how far I've come and how much I have accomplished. Who knows - I may make it to that figure competition some day!

No comments:

Post a Comment