Thursday, May 19, 2011

It's Not Just about Losing Weight

I'm a big fan of gaining muscle and trying to lose fat. It is not just about the number on the scale. So this past week when I got a stomach illness I was really upset about the amount of weight I was losing. Obviously, it would mostly be muscle. My nutrition was definitely not up to par, but when you are really sick and can't keep much in you, what can you do?

I had several people e-mail me to compliment me on my weight loss this week, even though I stated in my journal several times that I was ill and that this was not a healthy way to lose.

One woman wrote me and stated, "Wow - I wish I could get the stomach flu - I bet I could lose some serious pounds!"

This is one of the most unhealthy attitudes I've come across in a while. Being so obsessed about the number on the scale that you would like to get ill? Not a good idea.

So please remember, a healthy weight loss averages out to 1-2 pounds a week, preferably of fat loss. Getting ill is NOT a good way to lose. As for me, I was finally able to exercise this evening - fingers crossed that I don't relapse. I expect the scale to move back up, and that's just fine by me. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment