Wednesday, June 1, 2011

A Little Break, Kind of

I recently started a new job and expected to not be around for a week or so while I got used to things. However, I didn't expect such a HUGE change in my schedule! For the first week I was getting up between 3:45 and 4 am. Yes, AM. As in "in the morning," before the sun rises. It reminded me a lot of days I had spent training while I was in the Army. Running mile after mile watching the sunrise.

Fortunately, I did not have to run mile after mile. I do walk, though. A lot. My first few days I walked between 7.5 and 9 miles during my work shift. These ranged from seven-and-a-half to 8 hour shifts, so I am averaging about a mile per hour. I am working at Safeway in the Deli. Now, I expected to walk maybe 3 to 4 miles during a full eight-hour shift. But 9 miles? I would have prepared for that.

As it is, I am completely pooped. Worn out. Beat down. My eating got completely off track as I started looking for sugary "boosts" to get me through the day. Needless to say I gained almost 5 pounds since I started work. I have not lifted weights during this time either. I am just too worn out.

Thankfully, my body is beginning to adjust and I am getting back on track with my eating. In the past two or three days I have lost 4 of the 5 pounds I gained and my measurements are all almost back to where they were. Now comes the conundrum - do I continue to lose weight or stay where I'm at? I had actually planned on gaining a couple of pounds because I was feeling too skinny, but now that my weight shot up, I am happily on my way back to where I was.

I have never been at this body fat percentage before, and it is taking a lot to adjust to seeing myself in the mirror. While I hope to start picking up the weights again soon, I have no idea where my journey is headed right now. How does one decide what their "goal" really is? I guess for me I will just keep taking measurements and keep taking pictures. I can't tell when I look in the mirror, but a picture is very revealing.

I may not be weight lifting at the moment, but at least I made my 50 Miles in May goal for my group. I have no doubt I will make that goal for the group in June as well. Or twice that.

Happy Workouts!

No comments:

Post a Comment